A great dish, easy to prepare, even easier to eat! Enjoy.
Sunflower oil for frying
3 large aubergines (800g) cut into 5mm thick slices
Flour for coating
1 litre passata
250g buffalo mozzarella
100g parmesan, grated
3 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
200g Arborio rice
150ml white wine
1200ml vegetable/chicken stock
Salt & pepper
• Butter an oven proof dish (approx 20x30cm) set aside.
• To make the rice first, heat the olive oil in a pan and gently fry the onions until soft, about 7 minutes, stir in the rice and when it is glossy add the saffron, stir briefly and then add the wine.
• Allow it to be absorbed by the rice and then start adding the stock gradually. When the rice is doubled in size and cooked through, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
• Pre heat the oven 180 degrees C.
• Heat a deep fat fryer (or large pan with at least 3cm oil) until 170 degrees C.
• Coat the aubergine in flour and shake off any excess, fry in batches until golden brown on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper.
• Coat the base of the ovenproof dish with a ¼ of the passata and scatter a ¼ of the mozzarella and the parmesan on top followed by the aubergine.
• Cover with all of the rice and then repeat with the passata and cheese.
• Bake until golden for about 30 minutes and bubbling around the edges.