A delicious grain free Christmas Pudding.
Serves 8-10 (1 litre basin)
- 100g sultanas
- 100g raisins
- 100g currants
- 70ml cider
- 70ml alcoholic ginger beer
- 2 tbsp rum
- 75g ground almonds
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 100g coconut butter
- 200g coconut nectar
- 75g cooking apples, peeled and chopped
- ½ zest of orange
- ½ zest of lemon
- 2 eggs
- Place all the dried fruit and candied peel in a mixing bowl; soak overnight with the alcohol.
- Mix the ground almonds with the mixed spice, nutmeg, cinnamon & bicarb of soda.
- Add the desiccated coconut, coconut butter and nectar to the ground almonds.
- Drain the fruit from the alcohol. Add to the dried mixture along with the apple & grated zest.
- In a separate basin, beat the eggs with the alcohol.
- Add the liquid to the fruit and mix thoroughly.
- Pack into a lightly greased basin (1litre). Cover with a sheet of greaseproof and aluminium foil and secure well.
- Steam for 8 hours over a pan with simmering water, keep checking the water levels to prevent the pan going dry.
- Remove from the steamer and allow cooling. Remove the greaseproof and foil and replace with new. Secure well.
- Allow to mature for at least 2 months. Reheat by steaming for a further 2 hours.
- Serve with rum and brandy sauce.