Mussels with Spinach & Pancetta July 03, 2013 09:39
Serves 4 -6
- 1kg mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 500g spinach, washed
- 200ml full fat milk
- 150g pancetta, chopped into cubes
- 100 ml double cream
- 25g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- Place a large pan over medium heat and add the butter, then add the shallots and pancetta.
- Cook until the onions are translucent and the pancetta has started to release some of its fat.
- Then add the wine, 2 tbsp water and bring to a simmer, then when the liquid has reduced by half then add the garlic and the spinach.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the spinach has started to wilt.
- Add the mussels and cover with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Squeeze in the lemon and add the cream.
- Season and serve hot. (Discarding any mussels where the shells have remained shut).
- Serve with some crusty bread.