A really easy to make Gluten & Sugar free cake.
- 200g ground almonds
- 75g unsalted butter
- 50g Xylitol
- 30g Sweet Freedom/honey/Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 5 egg whites
- Pre heat oven 160 degrees C.
- Mix the butter with xylitol and syrup/honey until creamed.
- Add the vanilla, ground almonds and mix well.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks and first spoon 1 spoonful into the almond mixture and mix, then add the remaining egg whites and fold them in carefully.
- Line an 8” cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Gently pour the mixture into the tin and place into the oven, middle shelf (no higher).
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until the cake is golden on top. If unsure prick with a knife and make sure it comes out clean, then it’s done.
- Leave the cake to cool and then slice in half so that the middle of the cake can be filled.
- Fill the cake with a natural sugar free jam (not with artificial sweeteners), I use St. Dalfour, and some cream. I use mascapone mixed with a little coconut nectar.