A delicious, easy to prepare Indonesian dish.
- 8 eggs
- 3 tbsp chilli paste (or to taste)
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp belacan (dried shrimp paste)
- 1 tbsp peanuts, coarsely ground
- 450ml coconut milk
- 100ml water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- Peanut oil or vegetable oil for frying
- Sprigs of parsley for garnishing
Boil eggs until hard (about 7 minutes).
Heat oil in a wok, when the oil is hot carefully lower the hard boiled eggs and fry turning frequently to brown evenly on all sides and to form a light crust.
Remove eggs with slotted spoon and drain on some paper.
Add the onions to the wok and fry until translucent, then add the garlic, belacan, peanuts and chilli paste, stir fry for about 30 seconds.
Add the coconut milk, water, lemon juice, sugar, bay leaves and eggs and season with salt.
Bring to the boil slowly then immediately reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until the sauce reduces and thickens.
Top with the parsley leaves and serve with steamed rice.